Sunday, July 17, 2011

My Pelonis space heater shorted out and caused a fire. Do I have a case?

My Pelonis ceramic space heater caused a fire in my family room. I'm so glad we were home and awake! The heater was off but still plugged in. Honestly during the winter it's a permanent fixture in that room because it gets so cold. We do turn it off but typically do not unplug it. The other morning I heard what sounded like a cell phone vibrating, very loudly I might add. The next thing I new I heard my husband screaming "fire, fire, fire....He's your typical goof ball...so I figured he's goofing off with the kids...I turned around and looked into the family room and saw he was serious. There was a fire up the wall and behind the chair. He was able to get the fire out on his own however there was some damage. The plug on the heater shorted out (actually melted in the outlet). We did get an estimate for the damages and it's just over 8,000.00. We do have home owners insurance but I'm curious to know if it's worth the time and effort to try to have the manufacturer of the heater pay for the damages. It could have been a lot worse had we not been home and/or asleep but if this could be faulty manufacturing I don't think it's fair we are stuck with a large deductible.

No comments:

Post a Comment